Learning Center: Responding to Severe Weather
Nebraska Ag Connection - 06/29/2020
Some preschool and school-age children will react to reports of severe weather with anxiety and questions-others with little anxiety, but lots of interest. Still other children may experience little anxiety and little interest.
The University of Nebraska Lincoln in Douglas-Sarpy counties points out that our responsibility as parents is to:
- Recognize that every child is an individual.
- Reassure children of their own safety and security.
- Help children play and talk through their feelings and understandings.
- Limit their exposure to scary images by reducing exposure to the media.
- Help children participate in global events in ways that are meaningful to them.